Monday, October 13, 2014

DIY Autumn burlap bunting


If you can't already tell by my blog banner, I love bunting. I think that it's so cute, and it's a great way to decorate a plain space. This autumn bunting is made of burlap, and is completely customizable to your personal taste. Everything—from the size of the triangles to the word it creates—can be personalized. I hope you enjoy making this festive craft as much as I did!



WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
1. Some burlap. I used a roll of "Autumn burlap" from Michael's.
2. A thick sharpie marker, preferable in black.
3. Mod Podge of any finish that will dry clearly
4. Embroidery floss in the colour of your choice
5. Sharp scissors (yes, my kiddie scissors are sharp!)
6. A sewing needle that will fit embroidery floss
7. A paintbrush for the Mod Podge
8. A ruler or straight edge


First off, unroll the burlap. Using a marker and a ruler, draw diagonal lines to create one triangle for each letter that you're making. Don't worry about the marker lines, they won't show through in the finished product.


Your roll of burlap should now look like this. I drew six triangles, because the word "autumn" has six letters in it. If you want it to be really perfect, you can definitely use a protractor to draw triangles that are exactly equal. I didn't think that this was necessary at all, so I just eyeballed the angles.


Cut along the lines to create six burlap triangles (or however many you need). Don't pull at any frayed pieces, because the triangles will unravel completely. They are very fragile at this stage for that exact reason, so handle them carefully. Flip them over so that the marker lines are facing down.

Using a paintbrush, paint Mod Podge around every edge. This will seal the fraying edges created by cutting the burlap, and prevent the triangles from falling apart. The Mod Podge will dry clear, so don't worry about it showing! Let the triangles dry for at least half an hour; they should be almost completely dry for the next step.


Using a Sharpie, carefully write the letters or shapes that you want on each triangle. Be patient, and trace over each line a few times to make sure that the letters will show up very clearly. As you can see, I wrote the letters for the word "Autumn", but you can write anything that you would like.


Using the embroidery thread and needle, carefully stitch through the top of each triangle. The thread should be ongoing from one end of the bunting to the other. The stitches can be as big or as small as you would like, but I would recommend a medium-sized stitch. This way, the stitches will show, but they'll still be very sturdy and won't fall apart easily. I found that putting the needle through every few of the wholes in the burlap worked very well.


If you would like, you can tie knots on either end of the bunting, but it's fine just like that as well! I think that this is such an easy and cute fall decoration for any space, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Note: There are so many ways to hang the bunting: you could tie each end to a nail or hook in the wall, or just tape it up with some clear or washi tape. All of these methods work equally well!

3 comments :

  1. Hello :) I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!
    http://heyyletsmakeup.blogspot.ca/2014/10/liebster-blog-award-nomination.html#more
    If you do take part in it, send me the link because I'd love to see your response! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute blog! Nice tutorial as well.

    http://itsjpei.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it mean a lot to me that you enjoyed it :)

      Delete

2