Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Two Easy DIY Body Lotions | Gift idea

Body lotions are easy to make, and they're very useful in day to day life, especially in the colder, dryer months. I've put together two of my favourite, easy DIY body lotion recipes... one is a simple and standard whipped coconut oil lotion, and the other is a fancier chocolate orange body butter. The second recipe is something that I found on Pinterest, and I won't be sharing the recipe itself, rather my opinion on it, and other tips and tricks for the recipe. I'll link back to the website where the content was posted. I hope you can try these recipes for yourselves, and happy gifting!


This whipped coconut oil body lotion takes minutes to make, and you only need one ingredient! It's moisturizing on the skin, and it's not harsh or anything, so even the people with the most sensitive skin can still use it.



You'll need:
  • Coconut oil (the amount is to your prefernece)
  • A bowl that you can use a mixer with
  • A hand or stand mixer
And that's it! No hard-to-find ingredients or obscure chemicals; it's all-natural, and the ingredient is so easy to find.



Spoon the amount of coconut oil that you want to use into the bowl. Then, whip it using the mixer starting on low speed and gradually moving up to high speed as you go. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Whip it for about a minute, or until it looks fluffy and smooth, and then scoop the lotion into containers or jars. Simple, isn't it?


As you can see, the consistency is very smooth and creamy, kind of like if you took very soft butter and whipped it. It's so moisturizing for your skin even if it's a bit oily, and it's healthy and natural, which is even better. If you need a little last-minute stocking stuffer, this lotion is an easy solution!


I found the recipe for this amazing chocolate orange body butter on "Coconut Mama" here: (click here) I actually made this body butter for my mom last year, and it quickly became one of her go-to lotions for her heels. It's amazingly moisturizing, and it smells just as impressive. I would highly recommend checking out the recipe and trying it, because it really is wonderful. The only thing that I change about the recipe is that I use only 5-8 drops of sweet orange essential oil, because I prefer a more subtle, cocoa-butter scent.

To wash the dishes afterwards, just put all of the spoons, whisks and measuring cups into the big bowl, and fill it with hot water. The butter and oil will melt, and separate to the top of the water, and you'll be able to just pour it all out together and easily scrub at the bowls with a sponge!


As you can see, the consistency of the body butter is much more solid and butter-like that the coconut lotion. It smells like cocoa butter (which smells awesome), with a hint of oranges.

If you try either of these recipes, I'd love to hear how they turn out! Let me know in the comments below :)

Stay tuned for a post on how I decorated these containers and more, it's coming up soon!



No comments :

Post a Comment

2