Sunday, March 01, 2015

Let's Talk: Makeup Brushes


Almost everyone who uses makeup owns them... makeup brushes. They're fluffy, convenient and come in a variety of shapes of sizes, and it's very important to wash them on a regular basis. In this post, I'm going to talk about how I wash my makeup brushes, and I'll also talk about some of my favourites. Enjoy :)


Washing brushes isn't fun, and a lot of people put the task off for as long as possible... it takes some time, and it sometimes seems unnecessary. However, every makeup brush owner should wash them on a regular basis to prevent bacteria growth on the brushes, or clogged pores from makeup buildup on the brushes. I'll talk you through how I wash mine!

I use:
  • Baby shampoo (it's soft on the skin and can even be used as a cleanser!)
  • A container full of warm water
  • A sink
  • Paper towel
  • Somewhere to dry the brushes
  • Makeup brushes (obviously!)
Steps:

  1. Pour some baby shampoo into a container filled with warm water. Mix it around until it's dissolved, to create a solution to clean my brushes in.
  2. Swirl the dirty brushes around in the warm solution, and get as much of the makeup off as you can. 
  3. Once it's mostly off, run the brushes under cool, running water while playing with the bristles with your fingers to shape the hairs. This will help to get the rest of the makeup off. 
  4. If there is any makeup left, repeat the last two cleaning steps. 
  5. Blot the bristles off on a paper towel.

I like to fill a jar with dry rice and stand the brushes up inside of the jar. It keeps them upright and separated for drying, and it looks really cute while they dry, too!


Now for my favourite brushes... I own the RealTechniques Face brushes set, and they all work wonderfully. They have super soft bristles made of synthetic hair, which makes them ideal for use with both cream and powder products. They're also very affordable from many drugstores!

I also like some of the Sonya Kashuk eyeshadow brushes. They're not quite as soft as the RealTechniques ones, but they're still easy to use, and affordable as well.

I've also tried a few MAC brushes before (at my friends' houses), and they're incredible... they're much pricier, but they're extremely soft-bristled and easy to use.

What makeup brushes are your favourites? Let me know in the comments below :)

2 comments :

2