Friday, June 19, 2015

Delicious DIY Chocolate Pudding | Living the Lactose-Free Life



The last Quebec post will be up soon, I'm just in finals week so I'm using scheduled posts for now :)
 
My dietitian recently told me to eliminate dairy in my diet for a while to try and "fix" all sorts of issues. This isn't too hard most of the time, because there are so many milk substitutes available, etc.—the hard part of living lactose-free is really in the cooking and baking, and finding good desserts to eat. 



I've always wanted to try making my own pudding from scratch, and the fact that I can't have prepared puddings right now gave me a great excuse to give it a try. I used this recipe from Silk to make some dairy-free chocolate pudding, and it turned out delicious... it tastes really similar to a boxed pudding mix, but it has the added satisfaction of being completely homemade!

For easy reading, I copied the recipe below. (I halved the portions as well, it made the perfect amount for a little over four people.)

Ingredients
  • 40 mls cocoa powder (I used a liquid measuring cup and just put a little under 50 mls)
  • 1/4 + 1/8 cups white sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 cup cornstarch
  • 1.5 cups soy, coconut or almond milk (I used half almond milk, half soy milk.)
  • 1.5 tbsp dairy-free margarine (most margarines are fine but double check!)
  • 1/2 + 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
What to do
  1. Combine the dry ingredients in a saucepan and whisk it together well.
  2. Slowly pour in the milk(s) while constantly whisking to prevent lumps. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat while continuing to whisk constantly
  3. Once the pudding is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer, cover it and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes. The pudding should begin to thicken. Keep an eye on it though, mine overflowed from under the lid after 6 minutes!
  4. Remove from the heat and mix in the margarine and vanilla.
  5. Transfer the pudding to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cool.
  6. Enjoy your delicious dessert!
Have you ever made your own pudding? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments :

  1. I think I have been having a bit of a funny reaction to Dairy lately, will have to try this out because it looks soo soo good! I love food.

    Meme xx

    New Blog Post:
    'Beautiful = Natural'
    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes if you try making it! :)

      Delete

2