Saturday, July 30, 2016

Why I'm Loving Early Morning Bike Rides

Why I'm Loving Early Morning Bike Rides | Akinokiki


My dad, my sister and I started going on 45 minute bike rides a few times a week, starting early in the morning at 6am... and I'm loving them! I don't think I ever expected that I'd enjoy waking up early during summer break, and even less so, to do exercise. But here I am, enjoying these early morning bike rides, and here are 5 reasons why:

(Disclaimer: the photo quality isn't great because the main focus was on the biking, not the photo taking... hahaha)

The cooler morning air is ideal for exercise.

Where I live, it can get really hot in the summer, and I just don't find an hour-long bike ride in 40 degree weather to be the most appealing or safe choice of activities. Luckily, in the morning, it's usually only around 20 degrees and there's a nice breeze. The morning is much better for exercise because it's not only cooler out, but the air also feels fresher in a way.

It gets you out of bed early.
It's really easy in the summer to stay in bed too long, relaxing, and then to find that the day escaped you completely. When I get outside to do exercise starting at six in the morning, I find that the day is WAY longer and I can get so much more done! I usually get a huge shock at around 10am when I realize that it isn't even afternoon yet, and that I still have so much time ahead of me in the day to get stuff done. These days are the especially productive ones, and I end up going to sleep earlier, too, which really helps with my overall health.


Exercise is a great way to start the day right, and it energizes you.
It's hard to get out of bed at 5:50 in the morning to go for a bike ride, but once you're out, it's a great start to the day! The exercise and the challenge of it is a great way to kick of a day full of productivity, and after a short wind-down period at breakfast, it leaves me with higher energy all day long. It also makes you get some good cardio in every week, but it's out of the way of what you would normally do, because it all starts early, even before breakfast! Something about starting the day off working hard, breathing in fresh air and seeing the city wake up is just an amazing and positive experience.


It helps you get stronger and improve endurance.
To go from being unable to bike up a certain hill, or go on a certain path, to being able to do these things easily only weeks later is an extremely gratifying experience. Even with just 45 minutes a few times a week, I've noticed that I've started to build muscle, and my endurance is so much higher than it was before. I've found myself improving and being able to do more even day by day, and this sense of achievement is really motivating!


You see things that you wouldn't otherwise see.
This one is really exciting. On our morning bike rides, most of the city is still asleep or waking up, so traffic is light, and there aren't that many people around. However, we've cycled past ducklings, bunnies, turtles, geese, groundhogs, beautiful views, hot air balloons, sunrise, and other things that we just wouldn't experience if we had slept in. These small joys certainly help inspire me to get out of bed so early as well!

What do you think about doing exercise at ungodly hours during the summer? (hahaha)

8 comments :

  1. These are all great reasons to get out of bed & do a little bit of a workout. Getting out of bed early is the perfect way to start today. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Thanks for reading, Carmen :)

      Delete
  2. Nice write up and great reasons to help you kick start your day.

    www.tessyonyia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! So many great reasons to start the day nice and early. :)

    LifeOfArdor.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to do this! There is something about waking up early and getting something done that makes me very happy and make me feel as if I'm not procrastinating haha. x

    www.wanderergirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Becky! I definitely suggest giving it a go :)

      Delete

2